Welcome to the 2016-2017 School Year!
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! We are off and running and excited to have all of our students back! It has been an exciting summer as we have been in the midst of a complete renovation to Porter Lakes Elementary School including the addition of a new office. It was an incredible amount of work to complete in just a handful of weeks, but the classrooms are ready! The classrooms received new HVAC systems, lights, windows, cabinets, ceilings, and interactive projectors and whiteboards. Additionally, we reconfigured space moving the office from the interior of the building to the front of the building. This new office helps to improve security. There is still work happening at the building, but we are thrilled with what has already been completed!
Here are some awesome standouts from over the summer! Make sure to send me your standouts so that they can be included!
Congratulations to Austin Rocha who received the top Richard Lugar scholarship worth $20,000.
Congratulations to the Boone Grove boys golf team who took 2nd at the Rensselaer invite on Saturday May 7.Grant Stockwell and Logan Lucas took 1st and 2nd place for the whole tournament out of 16 schools. The team went on to win the Boone Grove invite and have an impressive end to their season. Logan Lucas qualified and made it to the state round for golf finals and finished 26th in state. Super impressive!
Have you heard about Liz Hedger, who is 11, and a 7th grader at BGMS? She swims for a club in Valparaiso called MAKO Swim Team. She has already competed internationally, when she was 10, at the 2015 Speedo Can-Am Paraswimming Championships in Toronto, where she set a bunch of new personal best times. She was the youngest competitor there by two years, after hitting qualifying times. Liz’s dream is to swim for the United States in the Paralympic Games and win a medal. Liz got to meet 17-time Paralympic medalist Jessica Long at this meet and had her picture taken with Jessica, who will be competing in her fourth Paralympic Games this summer in Rio. Way to go, Liz!
Email PTSC standouts to Dr. Schmidt at stacey.schmidt@.
- September 5: Labor Day–No School
- September 14: Online Day BGHS and BGMS
- October 12: Online Day BGHS and BGMS
- October 19: End of Quarter 1
- October 24: Parent/Teacher Conferences and Early Dismissal
- October 25: Parent/Teacher Conferences and Early Dismissal
- October 27-28: Fall Break–No School
- November 16: Online Day BGHS and BGMS
- November 24-25: Thanksgiving Break–No School
- December 21-January 4: Winter Break–No School
- January 13: End of Quarter 2/Semester 1
Things to Know/Do:
- Now hiring substitute teachers! Please contact Linda Dusek at the administration building if you are interested in substitute teaching and she will help you start the application process and discuss qualifications.
- Do your friends and neighbors know how to find our weekly updates? Even if your neighbors don’t have kids in school tell them about our weekly updates so they can hear the great news of what happens at PTSC!
- Every Wednesday is a 30-minute delayed start. If we have a 2-hour delay, students will arrive at school 2 hours after the regular start time for the building.
- We are also looking for bus drivers to drive our extra-curricular runs. If you are interested, please apply online. It’s a great way to earn some money and attend extra-curricular events!